Halloween is almost here, and tempting sweets have started popping up at work, parties, grocery stores. October is an important time of year to be mindful of your dental health.
Although delicious, candy can wreak havoc on teeth. Sugars left behind on the surface of or between teeth can turn into acids that eat away at enamel, causing decay and cavities.
On the bright side, keeping your teeth healthy is as easy as 1-2-3!
1) Make Educated Choices
- Limit the amount of sticky candies like toffees, caramels, and taffies that can remain on a tooth’s surface or get stuck in hard to reach places.
- Steer clear of hard candies that stay in your mouth longer
2) Clean your teeth on the fly
- Drink plenty of water to wash away the sugars clinging to your teeth and rebalance your mouth’s pH
- Chew sugar-free gum to increase saliva flow and help remove cavity-causing bacteria
3) Brush and floss
Brushing and flossing are always the best ways to keep your mouth healthy. It is crucial to brush for at least two minutes, twice a day to prevent cavities. Bring a travel toothbrush to work during the Halloween season for extra protection.
If you have any kids in your life, consider starting a new Halloween tradition with a visit from the Switch Witch.
As the year winds down, be sure that you get the most out of your insurance benefits, including any health savings account (HSA) or flexible spending accounts (FSA). Dr. Schaefer and the Piedmont Periodontics team can help you maximize your benefits — and keep your smile bright!